Match Reports

Guildford City 1 – 3 Biggleswade Town

Click here for match photos

Click here for match photos

A brace by striker Joel Mason proved the difference between the two sides at Spectrum as Biggleswade Town took all three points in the penultimate game of the season, at the same time clinching their place in the end of season play-offs.

The game started off well for the hosts, with a goal inside the first 90 seconds. Captain Simon Cooper latched onto Dan Moody’s pass over the top, controlled it on his chest before calmly rounding Alex Taylor in the Biggleswade goal and stroking the ball into the far corner to take his tally for the season up to nine.

The first of City’s goal line clearances came straight after the opener, when Biggleswade captain Steve Gentle found the ball at his feet 6 yards out, but his shot could only find the body of Bruce McPhail and City were able to clear their lines. The second clearance came ten minutes later, when Mason cut in from the left hand side and his cross was met perfectly by Paul Barnes, but his shot could only meet the body of Jamie Thoroughgood. The away side would continue to press for an equaliser, and nearly claimed it when Max York’s long throw was met by the head of Paul Barnes, but keeper Anthony Hall was able to turn it round the post.

The equaliser would come ten minutes before halftime when Joel Mason was able to head the ball past Hall in goal, who had been injured minutes earlier in a clash whilst diving for the ball to bring the scores level. One very quickly became two and it was Mason again with the finish, this time taking a through ball on the right hand corner of the area, on the volley and into the far corner of the net.

As the home side pushed for an equaliser, they left themselves open to conceding another and they nearly did, but once again Thouroughgood was there to deny Paul Barnes from getting on the score sheet. That plan only lasted fifteen minutes as Barnes was able to meet Joel Mason’s cross 15 yards out and head the ball past substitute Mike Hall in the goal and give the away side a two goal cushion, which they managed to hold on to until the final whistle.

Ian Plested interviews manager Kevin Rayner after the Biggleswade Town match on Wednesday night

Guildford City:
Antony Hall (Michael Hall 45), Bruce McPhail, Ben Rayner (Casey McCabe 45), Simon Cooper, Jamie Thoroughgood, Tom Penson, Dan Moody, Will Heavey (Tyrone Newton), Junior Kaffo, Scott Todd, Dammy Bada.
Unused substitutes: Mike Woods

Referee: Michael Webb

Match report by Matthew Baldwin.

About Guildford City FC

Combined Counties Premier Division football club playing at the Spectrum, Guildford.


Comments are closed.

Next Match


Sat 17th Nov




Twitter Updates

  • A brilliant performance from keeper Elgi Fejzo and our defenders overcame the home sides continuous attack with Ben… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
  • RT @CMB_1987: 1-0 is my favourite scoreline. Away from home against a very strong side. Honest, hardworking and well organised. Our fans we… 13 hours ago
  • RT @danband88: Proper hard fought 3 points for us today away at Balham. Very satisfying despite the red card that we don’t need to talk abo… 13 hours ago

GCFC Sponsors

Guildford City Sponsor ER Accountancy


Older Posts

%d bloggers like this: