Match Reports

Guildford City 2 – 1 Uxbridge

Click here for match photos

Guildford City extended their perfect start to the season with a 2-1 victory over Uxbridge at The Spectrum, making it seven wins from seven and maintaining second position in the league, behind Godalming Town.

There were welcome returns to the squad for Corey Holder, stretchered off two weeks ago against Barton Rovers initially with a feared broken leg, and for forward Austin Gacheru and full back Elvis Defreitas, both having served suspensions.

Goals from Ben Rayner in each half, either side of a Chris Moore penalty was enough to see off a strong second half performance from the visitors. Centre backs Simon Cooper and Jamie Thoroughgood were excellent in restricting Uxbridge to so few chances, even though their domination in the second period may have warranted more.

Guildford however, edged the first half and with some neat play in the middle from Tommy Tydeman, repeatedly opened up space for Jaydon Gibbs to attack from wide. Gibbs was the man of the first half and it was his cross, after a short corner from Joel Hughes, which found Rayner in the six-yard box, the midfielder stooped low to flick the ball into the net off the post, after 21 minutes.

In the second half Uxbridge came at Guildford forcing the home side deeper and deeper but were unable to threaten Antony Hall’s net too frequently. An equaliser did come though, as Nicke Kabamba was brought down in the box, Chris Moore struck the resulting penalty well, past Hall to his right-hand side.

Uxbridge continued to mount pressure but were unable to break through Guildford’s resolute backline. In the final ten minutes Rayner floated a seemingly harmless free kick towards the back post, which ended up in the back of the net as the away defenders failed to react to it.

The score line could have been better for Guildford in the dying minutes, as Gibbs was denied twice from close range, Uxbridge had pushed players forward and the winger found himself with time on the edge of the box, the keeper though did well with both efforts.

Another great three points for Guildford after the disappointment of last weeks FA Trophy exit, next week the team travel to Rugby Town who are currently tenth in the division.

Match report written by Bruce Archer.

Guildford City:
Antony Hall, Elvis Defreitas, Ben Rayner, Simon Cooper, Jamie Thoroughgood, Tony Chaplin, Dan Moody, Tommy Tydeman (Junior Kaffo 75), Austin Gacheru (Will Heavey 85), Joel Hughes, Jaydon Gibbs.
Unused substitutes: Moses Spencer, Corey Holder, Luke Bradnick.
Cautioned: None

Referee: T. Donnellan

About Guildford City FC

Combined Counties Premier Division football club playing at the Spectrum, Guildford.


Comments are closed.

Next Match


Sat 17th Nov




Twitter Updates

  • A brilliant performance from keeper Elgi Fejzo and our defenders overcame the home sides continuous attack with Ben… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
  • RT @CMB_1987: 1-0 is my favourite scoreline. Away from home against a very strong side. Honest, hardworking and well organised. Our fans we… 12 hours ago
  • RT @danband88: Proper hard fought 3 points for us today away at Balham. Very satisfying despite the red card that we don’t need to talk abo… 12 hours ago

GCFC Sponsors

Guildford City Sponsor ER Accountancy


Older Posts